Am I eligible to be a guardian?

To become a guardian for a child or young person you could be:

  • a relative or kinship carer
  • an authorised foster carer who has cared for that child or young person for some time, or
  • another suitable person

If you are just starting out on your journey to becoming a foster carer and are interested in becoming a guardian in the future, let your agency know upfront.

Find out more about guardianship for a child or young person in care, or contact:

  • Your caseworker, out-of-home care agency, or FACS
  • FACS guardianship information line on 1300 956 416
  • Fostering NSW information line on 1800 236 783
  • Connecting Carers NSW on 1300 794 653 or
  • The Aboriginal Child, Family & Community Care State Secretariat (NSW) Inc. (AbSec) Foster Care Support Line on 1800 888 698.
  • You can also contact your local FACS Community Services Centre