This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by   Dave Noble 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Martin R
    Participant

Hi,
    Just looking for some pearls of wisdom from existing Foster carers.
    My wife and I are in our 50/60’s with grown up kids back in UK & Gold Coast.
    I’ve wanted to Foster for some time, as I just feel I may have something more to offer, and may be able to help a child or children in a small way. I am also a realist and scared to death by the idea. My wife is only now coming round to the idea since she’s semi-retired. We have a large house & garden, plus close family and friends in Aus (Inc 2 gorgeous grandsons 3 & 9 months) & grown up kids in UK.
    We’re both still fit and well and very active. I still work and travel across Aus selling in Hospitals.
    I’d love to hear from anyone who has been through the process (I haven’t even started to look). Is it heart wrenching to hand back a child? Is the support from agencies adequate?
    Am I mad even considering Fostering ?
    Thanks
    Martin

Dave Noble
    Ambassador

You definitely are not mad to consider fostering, though it is important that both of you are keen on the idea. If one is not really a willing participant, I would reconsider

Agencies vary; if you do decide to proceed, I would recommend making contact with at least 2 agencies and discussing it with them; you may well find that you feel happier with one over the other. I spoke to 2 initially and there was a great difference.

Also check up front with the agency over maximum age; I believe that some may have age limits

My experience is that the agency is very helpful and supportive

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.